Even though local moves within the Dallas area are common, they can be just as stressful as moving across the country. Between packing up your old life and mentally preparing for your move-in date, planning every step of your move is essential to assure yourself that no stone is left unturned.
Here is our local mover’s ultimate guide to making your transition into your new Dallas home as stress-free as possible.
1. Start Planning Weeks Out
When it comes to a move of any distance, planning as early as possible is essential. At least 8 weeks out from your move, start mapping out your next steps.
Planning ahead makes the bigger decisions easier when the time comes to make them during a local move.
Some major actions you’ll need to take during this time include the following:
- Researching local movers. Make sure that your company is licensed and insured. Texas has a regulated moving industry, so you want to ensure that your mover is up to the state’s standards.
- Reaching out to your insurance company and adding extra coverage where needed
- Research essential areas you’ll utilize like banks, doctors, and school districts
- Learn about different insurance and valuation options that moving companies in your area utilize
2. Hire Local Movers Early!
Get on a local mover’s schedule as soon as possible. However, before you sign a contract of any sort, make sure that your moving company meets the criteria of an excellent local company:
- They use their own quality equipment for your move
- They offer valuation coverage for your valuables
- They know local routes and can ensure a quick, safe, trip
- They are willing to pack and unpack your belongings as needed
3. Spring for a Full-Service Move
Although you may want to pack some of your belongings ahead of time, we suggest scheduling a full-service move that takes most of the heavy lifting of a move out of your hands.
At Element, we want to ensure that your local move takes as few trips as possible. That is why we always recommend our full-service option that aides your family with:
- Wrapping and protecting furniture
- Furniture disassembly and assembly
- Complete unpacking once at your destination
4. Notify Essential Parties of Your Move
Even a move across town requires you to notify certain parties of your new change in address.
Some of the first parties that should know about your move as early as possible include:
- The United States Postal Service
- Your job
- Your children’s school
- Any services you pay for that rely on your address for identity verification
- Your utility companies. Always remember to inform them of your address change and ensure that the lights and water in your new home are on the day before your move.
5. Don’t Forget to Deep Clean
If you’re moving out of your home, it’s likely that a new family is moving in to start their new chapter in life. Make sure that your conscience is clear on your moving day, and leave your home in immaculate condition for its new owners.
Schedule professional cleaners, make any necessary repairs, and essentially leave your home in better condition than it was when you bought it. This step may seem cliche, but you’ll feel better moving into your new home knowing that your old one is as move-in ready as possible.
If you want to keep all of your services with one reliable moving company, Element has cleaning services that allow you to skip external hiring and stick with a company whose integrity you trust.
6. Be Ready for the Big Day
When the move-in date arrives, make sure that your family is ready! Have your schedule prepared for your moving company, schedule child-care for the day, and ensure that you have some clothes and goods for available use while you unpack.
This hint will help you avoid a disorganized unpacking process and keeps your family comfortable as they settle into their new home!
Are You Ready to Get Moving with Element Moving & Storage?
If you’re planning a local move, it’s essential that you look for the best moving company you can find. Regardless of the distance, you need a local mover that treats your valuables as delicately as their own.
At Element Moving & Storage, we are a team of luxury movers that are dedicated to creating a better moving experience for our customers. Contact us today to learn more about our services and schedule your next move!